Robot Garden has a set of 3D printers available for members to use and a series of classes to help you learn how to safely and effectively use them. If you have never seen a 3D printer in action before, this is a great way to start.
Before taking any of the 3D printer classes, please visit Dynamism’s guide to 3D printing and watch the videos. This will give you a lot of background on the technology which is required for the class.
Your Print Class: Lulz Taz 5 & Lulz Mini
- If you are new to 3D printing, start with this class before moving on to the more advanced printers.
- Download the Safety & Basic Use (SBU) Handout & Intro Octoprint.
- Taz 5 & Mini User Manual & Quick Start Guide.
- Please join the Slack RobotGarden #3d-printing-sig channel for access to our community of expects.
3D Printer Rules of Use
General printer rules:
- Be excellent to each other:
- On the 3D printer this means taking the best care of the machine you know how and if you are unsure of how to do something properly, ask.
- Please try to coordinate with other users so everyone has access to the printer, if you have a long job, let someone with a short job use the printer first.
- You must have taken the SBU for a specific printer before using it.
- When your job has finished, properly shut down the printer.
- Do not shut down, reboot or suspend a computer connected to a printer while it is printing.
- When starting a long print job:
- You must supervise the printer at least until the first 2 layers of your part (not the raft) have successfully completed.
- If possible, check back on the print job regularly and stop the machine immediately if you notice anything amiss.
- Note the expected completion time of the print job and come unload your part as close to that time as possible.
- Only print using Octoprint. If printing using Octoprint is not possible, load the code on the SD and print manually. See a Marshal for details.
- The Rostock Max printer may only be used with Robot Garden Steward approved PLA filament (no ABS).
- The Form One printer may only be used with Robot Garden Steward approved resin.
Retired July 2016: Afinia
- Download the class reference handout
- Afinia 3D printer user guides
- Please check our meetup page to see when the next class is scheduled.
- Afinia rules
- The Afinia printer may only be used with Robot Garden Steward approved ABS plastic filament (no PLA).
- Do not use “fast” mode unless you will be supervising the printer the entire time.