Come learn to create 3D models that can be printed on 3D printers!
CAD is an empowering skill. Models created in the course can be printed using our 3D printers, but CAD has a much broader range of applications such as Architecture, Manufacturing Design, Industrial Arts, Mechanical Design, Computer Animation and more!This is a gateway course to the world of technology.
The course-ware and tools used for this course are all Free and Open Source!
Cost: $35 for non-members; members free – cash, credit card – no checks please
Ages 14 and up, Minors must be accompanied by a parent or guardian
Bring your own lunch, drinks available on site.
Topics we’ll be covering:
• Basic Navigation
• 2D Constraints
• From 2D Sketch to 3D Model
• Working with arcs
• 3D Constraints
• Exporting to STL
• Rotating a part on an axis
• Editing an STL
• Slicing and 3D Printing
This will be a 6 hour intensive course – trainer will provide breaks throughout.
• Laptop or computer (prefer Linux or Windows)
• FreeCAD installed (0.14 Revision 3702 or newer as previous versions have issues. Version .15 version preferred – If you need help, please come an hour before class for assistance installing)
• Mac users will need to know how to do the equivalent of Windows/Linux right-click, and multi-select (ctrl/shift-click) as the instructor is not familiar with single-button mouse controls
• Official FreeCAD site: freecad.org
• Installation document and downloads are here for Ubuntu, Mac and Windows. http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?title=Download
• The trainer will be demonstrating on Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty:
Our trainer: Janelle is a 18 year veteran in Information Technology and an enthusiastic STEM advocate. She self-taught FreeCAD and is very interested in sharing her experience to others.