Robot Garden may be the first robotics themed makerspace in the world and will be the first makerspace open to the community in the Tri-Valley part of the East San Francisco Bay Area. We plan to make available all the tools makers have come to love such as 3D printers, laser cutters, CNC machines, soldering irons and oscilloscopes. Members can work on all manner of technology and art projects, not just robots. In addition, we will have unique robotics resources not found at any previous makerspace.
“makerspaces are community-operated physical places, where people can meet and work on their projects. In short, it is a real location (opposed to an online meeting place) to gather with like-minded people and hack” (Hackerspaces.org, 2010)
Robots are a catalyst for excitement and education. We are a community that seeks to promote innovation, creativity, learning, personal and community development and the creation of tangible new technology through collaboration, classes, and by providing resources for our members and the wider community.
By fostering open source software and hardware projects, we encourage development of technology that benefits society. We ask our community to always ‘be excellent to each other’, as Noisebridge describes it. We are already hosting events and will continue to offer classes, and host hack-a-thons, competitions, seminars and concerts among many other activities.
Our core team is growing and you are welcome to join us.
- President: Tom Manger, Consultant and Director of IT Infrastructure
- Vice President Jim Berry, Retired Sandia Nat’l Labs Computer Science, Engineering & Cyber Security Manager, Former Head Engineering at POC Medical Systems, Former Director at Aegify Cyber Security, Director at Velocitos Medical Info Curation HealthFeed
- Chief Collaboration Officer: Andra Keay, Founder of Robot Launchpad, Managing Director of Silicon Valley Robotics
- Chief Program Officer: Fred Douthit, Mobile Developer and J2EE Architect.
- Chief Technology Officer: Daniel Casner, Robotics Engineer at Anki and embedded systems consultant.
Board of Advisers
- Robotics Advisor: Maynard Holliday, Senior Engineer RAND Corporation, US Govt Advisor for Autonomy, and involved in President Obama’s My Brother’s Keeper initiative to increase STEM opportunities for all young people across the country
- Makerspace Advisor: Madelynn Martiniere, Director of Community at Fictiv, cofounder Spark Plug Labs, The Idea Engine
- Operations Advisor: Stefani Pellinen-Chavez, Chief Operation Officer, Ivaldi Group, Co-Founder of Type A 3D Printers
- Startup Advisor: Brandon Cardwell, Executive Director at i-GATE Innovation Hub
- Non-Profit Advisor: To Be Determined
Robot Garden was incorporated as CORP 3547502 EIN 46-1390546 on 11-15-2012. We are an incorporated non-profit organization (501c3) registered with the Registry of Charitable Trusts (CT0209525) and operate according to these bylaws.
Robot Garden could not exist without contributions from our generous sponsors who contribute to the culture, education and vitality of the Tri-Valley through their support of Robot Garden. If you are interested in sponsoring us, please look at our sponsorship prospectus or just send us an email.
Innovation for Green Advanced Transportation Excellence, is a regional public-private partnership designed to support small businesses and maximize the economic potential of green transportation and clean-energy technologies.